Monday, March 18, 2013

Behind the Art!

All of my ART starts with a beautiful background!
 
I've been busy laying down layers...trying to get several canvases ready...so I can just grab one and create! This week I'm going to show my process in pictures! 
 
Step ONE:  Load the canvas with all kinds of papers! 
 
 
When I am doing this, I choose my color scheme, and gather all of my scraps.  You can see from this pile, I have words from magazine pages, colored paper, tissue paper, painted deli sheets, sheet music...you name it!  If I have it lying around and it fits in my color scheme...it may end up on my canvas!
 
Here are a few examples:
 
 
This blue and red piece is made mostly of handmade painted and stamped deli papers.

 
This piece has a fun vintage ad on it from an old magazine I picked up at a flea market.

 
I LOVE the pink and black here.  You will see an old receipt, sheet music, painted and stamped coffee filters, and a few words from a magazine.

 
I love the old map and #39 in this piece.  Can you see the bird I cut out of paper in the upper left?  Most of the time, my pieces get put on in vertical and horizontal lines...but every now and then I throw in an odd shape OR cut out a shape and add it to the piece.  I may keep it...or it will be completely covered with paint and texture.

 
Another receipt...but mostly just printed paper scraps.

 
This piece started out with paint.  A lot of my canvases have a layer of paint under the ephemera. My daughter will sneak down to my studio and help me paint canvases every so often.  I wish she did it more...but I'll take the little "art time" I get with her...it is always so much fun! So in the center of this canvas you will see some florescent orange...she loves the brightest colors best!
 
Thanks for stopping by!
 
Expect miracles, laugh often, and always color outside the lines!
 
xo-
Lara
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment